"Bulletproof" Collagen Bars
I'm a sucker for anything chocolate related and of course anything nutritious so when I get to combine my two loves I'm kind of a kid in a candy store! I love Dave Asprey's Bulletproof bars and occasionally splurge for one when I'm shopping at Sprout's or Whole Foods but can't justify the cost on a regular basis so it got me thinking....why not jump in the kitchen and get creative trying to make some of my own. This busy mom of four is REALLY happy to report that this was one of my easiest recipes to date. Fast, easy, and without a big clean up afterwards (because my kids laundry and legos are scattered all over the house enough to keep me busy cleaning all day long!) and needless to say they taste amazing!!!
I love collagen supplements and incorporate them into my daily supplement regime for overall health and wellness. They are beneficial for joint health (and we all aren't getting any younger!), digestive health, strong nails, and keeping skin soft and youthful looking. As the body ages less collagen is being made and that is where supplementation in the form of collagen powder is very beneficial. For more information on the wonderful health benefits of collagen and great brands I love to use you can read my blog post on collagen here.
I also incorporated MCT oil (which is extracted from coconut) and more easily digested in the body. The body processes MCT oil differently in that it immediately uses it for energy rather than storing it away which is great for energy. Many individuals incorporate MCT oil into their diet as the body converts it into keytones helping them stay in a state of ketosis (think Keto diet). MCT oil stands for medium-chain-triglycerides (for you nerdy types out there) and has other health benefits that include aiding in digestive health, increasing healthy HDL cholesterol, improving brain function, and curbing your appetite.
With so many snacks and granola bars loaded with sugar and questionable ingredients I prefer to stick to healthier real food options that won't spike my blood sugar causing me to crash as I schlep around the rest of the day. One thing I love about these collagen bars is the way they leave you feeling satiated long afterwards and provide a little sweetness that satisfies any sweet tooth. To be honest they taste more like a treat than a snack which is why I can't get enough of them!
2 3/4 C Raw Cashews
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
1 C Primal Kitchen Chocolate Collagen
1/4 C Coconut Oil
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp. Powdered Stevia (or sweetener of choice)
1) Prepare a 8 x 8 glass pan by lining with parchment paper. If you have individual molds you can use those as an alternative.
2) In a food processor combine the raw cashews along with all other ingredients. Begin to pulse the mixture for about 30 seconds occasionally stopping to scrape the sides to ensure all ingredients are getting mixed in.
3) Turn on the food processor continuously allowing all the ingredients to combine for another 30 seconds. At this time you may see the mixture clump up but rest assured it will smooth out eventually.
4) Take your prepared glass pan and spread the mixture out evenly smoothing it out as you go.
5) Place inside your freezer for a minimum of 1 1/2 -2 hours before taking them out. Wait about 5-10 minutes before cutting up the bars.
*To store the bars you can package them individually for an easy on the go snack as you're running out the door or you can stack them in a container with parchment paper in between each row and store them in the freezer.