Turmeric Ginger Shots
If you're reading this and you made it through December without a cold or a flu congratulations!! It's the time of the year when tissues decorate our house along with the Christmas decor (it could look like snow, right?) and we throw back cough drops like candy canes. We spend more time indoors than out and swap memories from years past along with colds that we picked up from our toddler licking sugar off the shelf at Walmart (wish this wasn't true!).
It's always important to eat a diet rich in greens, hydrate all day long, and avoid stress and overeating but there are certain times of the year when we get so busy and so distracted and naturally fall behind on our good intentions and goals. Stress kicks in and our immune systems weaken. We run to the cabinet to take some medicine to relieve the symptoms without giving our bodies the nourishment and TLC that it needs.
I love these turmeric ginger shots because they combine so much in one little bottle that help combat the common cold and bolster the immune system at the same time. Curcumin, a component of turmeric, is a powerful antioxidant that also possesses anti-inflammatory properties that inhibit cancer cells and protects our bodies from free radical damage (which in return helps combat signs of ageing). It is said to help protect and prevent the body from cancer, Alzheimer's disease, helps with arthritic inflammation, depression, lowers the risk for heart disease, and improves brain function.
We haven't even mentioned the ginger, garlic, or lemons that also fill these bottles with amazing health benefits. Can we just pause to give garlic a shout out for a few. This herb not only makes our food taste amazing (our breath not so much) and also possesses amazing anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal properties through a compound called allicin. Dang, garlic...at this point you're just showing off. Let's not forget the ginger that aids in digestion, helps with nausea, and is packed full of antioxidants. Lastly, one of my favorites....lemon which is a great source of vitamin C, rids the body of toxins, improves the appearance of your skin, and aids in weight loss. This recipe is adapted from Lisa's: Project Vegan.
You will need:
-Fine Mesh Strainer
-High Speed Blender
-(12) 2 ounce glass bottles
Turmeric Ginger Shots
5 Pieces of Turmeric
Large Chunk of Ginger
3 Pieces of Garlic
2 cups of Water
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1) Peel the ginger, garlic, and turmeric (wear gloves if you want to avoid staining your hands) and place in blender.
2) Cut and juice 6 lemons in a lemon juicer and add to the blender.
3) Add 2 cups of water to the blender.
4) Add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
5) Blend all the ingredients on high speed for approximately 20-30 seconds or until well blended.
6) Set up your strainer over a large measuring cup (or large bowl) and strain all of the liquid.
7) Set out all your bottles and place a funnel into the opening. Begin to pour the liquid until full.
8) Put the caps back on and place in the refrigerator. If there is any remaining you can place in a glass jar to store until you run out and can easily refill the bottles.